Friday, February 18, 2011

Cranberry White Chocolate Chip and Oatmeal Pancakes

Yumm! Pancakes! (SIGH) Cookies! (SIGH) Pancakes that taste like cookies, even yummier! What I love about pancakes, is how versatile they are. You can really thrown anything in the batter, and it will always be yummy. Pudding pancakes, anyone? I tried that 2 weeks ago for my pudding adoring hubby, and while I didn't particularly love the gooey-ness of them, he did! Anyway, now I am off topic. Cranberry White Chocolate Chip and Oatmeal Pancakes were inspired by one of my top favorite cookies. They are PACKED with deliciousness, so how could a pancake with all of that not be DELICIOUS? I mean, right?!
Note: For every pancake recipe I share here, I will always use my basic pancake recipe, adapted from Mom's recipe. (And of course, she did not "have" a recipe.)



Basic Pancake Mix:
Yields: 10-12 pancakes
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 eggs, separated
1/4 cup buttermilk*
approx 1/2 cup milk*
* If you do not have buttermilk, just use milk. I say approx, 1/2 cup of milk, because, I like my batter to be on the thicker side, but if you like runny batter, add more milk. Just start out with a little and stir, and add more until you reach desired consistency.

Heat a skillet or frying pan on medium heat.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and vegetable oil. Set aside.
In a small bowl, crack the eggs, separating them, draining the egg whites into the small bowl, and depositing the yolks ( ya know, the yellow part, hehe) into the flour mixture. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the egg whites on high speed, until fluffy. Set aside.
Begin to add milk to the flour, oil, egg mixture. Add a little, stir. Add a little more, stir. Continue until batter consistency. Lastly, fold in the egg whites.
Grease the pan with butter, and drop 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. Allow bubbles to form on top of pancake, when this occurs, flip the pancake, using a spatula. Allow to cook for about a minute. Continue until batter is gone. Unused batter can be covered and stored for 1 day.
NOW....
Cranberry White Chocolate Chip and Oatmeal Pancakes













Using the Basic Pancake Mix above:
  Add into flour mixture:
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  After folding in the egg whites:
1/4 cup of dried cranberries
1/4 cup of white chocolate chips
1/2 cup of quick oats
Top pancakes with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, or cover in warm maple syrup.

1 comment: