Thursday, March 17, 2011

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Casserole

Who does not love homemade chicken noodle soup? It is comfort food to the max. Lately we have been having beautiful spring weather, however last night it was dreary and rainy. So of course as I sat in the house, wishing I could be anywhere but there, I thought of something that would warm my insides. (light bulb goes off..SOUP!) But to be quite honest, I did not really feel like making homemade chicken and noodles. I then remembered that I saw a recipe for Chicken Noodle Soup in casserole form on the TK blog, by eatliverun. So I got up to grab the laptop and look up the recipe. BUT, Jeremy had taken the laptop to class with him. Dang. What to do? Well, I had two choices; 1. Eat cereal. OR 2. Create it myself.( Option 2 was best.) This casserole is great. It has all the amazing flavor of chicken noodle soup, all rolled into casserole form. And here are the results:

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Casserole:
Serves: 4

1/2 lb. egg noodles
2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1/2 medium onion, diced
1-2 stalks of celery, diced
1/2 lb baby carrots
1 15 oz can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup sour cream
Splash of chicken broth
1/4-1/2 cup milk
dash of ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
3 finger pinch kosher salt
1/2 sleeve Ritz crackers*

Begin by boiling the chicken breast in a large pot of water. Cook until done, about 20-30 min. Drain broth, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid. Shred with fingers when chicken is cooled.
Meanwhile, boil the egg noodles and cook until al dente. Drain pasta. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the cream of chicken and sour cream. Season with turmeric,salt and pepper.
In an 8x8 baking dish, combine the cooked noodles, chicken, and veggies. Toss with the cream mix.
Taste check the seasonings. Adjust as needed.
Crush the Ritz crackers, and use to top the casserole. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 40 min, or until carrots are fork tender. Serve immediately with warm french bread or side salad. I like to add some heat to my soup with a little Frank's hot sauce. Enjoy.
*Note: You could sub Ritz crackers for whatever crackers you have on hand. Goldfish? Saltines? You name it.

No comments:

Post a Comment