Monday, March 28, 2011

Strawberry Spinach Salad

Summer is just around the corner, although you wouldn't know it by today's weather. Yet, I insist on remaining optimistic. Berries. Lots of berries. Fresh produce. Homegrown produce. Ok, now that we have set the scene... This salad is very summery. It is light and refreshing. I was always leery of "berry salads." I could never wrap my head around it. I'm a caesar salad kind of girl, so when I think of salad- berries just don't fit! However, Wendy's, yes Wendy's changed my mind. I tried their Berry Salad this summer. Mmm. So now, I'm hooked. If you are looking for a filling lunch, or light dinner, this is the ticket. I could have eaten 4 bowls. ( I didn't. I really didn't.)

Strawberry Spinach Salad
 Serves:4

Ingredients:
1 head of romaine lettuce, rinsed and dried
1/2 bag of baby spinach leaves
1/2 lb strawberries, sliced
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1 1/2 cups chicken, boiled and cubed ( or whatever prepared chicken you have on hand.)
Raspberry Vinagarette dressing

Directions:
Start with the head of lettuce. Lay on it's side and make slices from root outwards. Then cut crosswise, holding the leaves tightly. This will achieve nice bite sized lettuce leaves.
In large bowl, toss together the lettuce and spinach leaves. Throw in the strawberries, cranberries, and chicken. Give a light toss. Top off with almonds and feta. Dress with Raspberry Vinagarette.

No comments:

Post a Comment