Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Baked Meatballs

Meatballs. Meat. Balls. Balls of Meat.
Meatballs are definitely man food.
You know, food that men eat.
Food that is not all dressed up.
Food that does not include the words, low-carb or fat-free.
Food with one syllable.

I have never been much on meatballs, especially spaghetti with meatballs...
I think it stems from watching one of those Kidsongs ( remember those movies?) movies, and the song "On Top of Spaghetti" comes on and this GIGANTIC meatball is rolling all around the set, from the campground table all through the dirt. I think it even rolls up on the dock where a man happens to be fishing, and somehow lands back on the kid's plate by the end of the song. Umm.. ew?

I will say, that I have actually come around, must be from being forced to make them, ya know, the man food. I will occasionally be spotted topping my spaghetti with a ball or 2.  But... these meatballs are not for spaghetti. I mean, they could be. But we ate them a la carte, along side some Rosemary Mashed Potatoes. Feel free to sub the tomato sauce for a gravy. That was my intention, but I figured jarred tomato sauce was so much easier at that point in the day.


Baked Meatballs
Serves: 4-6

Ingredients:
1 lb Lean Ground Beef
1 Egg
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp Dried Basil
1 tsp Dried Parsley
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
2 cups of your favorite pasta sauce OR gravy

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, except the sauce. Mix until combined, careful not to over mix. This will result in tough meatballs!
Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray. Pour in the 2 cups of sauce.
Form the meatballs to desired size; mini for sandwiches or just to be cute or large if you want to eat them a la carte.
Place meatballs in sauce, top with additional cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25min or until cooked through. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment