Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mexican Stuffed Peppers

Stuffed Peppers always bring me back to weeknights on Salem Road. Everyone gathered around the picnic style kitchen table. Chaos. Dance classes. Homework. The whole deal. Sigh. I have probably only eaten Stuffed Peppers a handful of times, but how much cuter can it get? Am I right or am I right? Spicy rice stuffed inside a bell pepper, loaded with creamy melty cheese goodness. Now I admit, as a child I did not eat the actual pepper, I think the first time I ate the pepper was when I made it this go around. I would like to just say that I'm sure I didn't eat it to preserve it's cuteness, that's just the kind of girl I am. But who am I kidding, what kid likes bell peppers? Ew! But, I was sure missing out! Did you eat the pepper? Disclaimer: I would have preferred to use red bell peppers, but the grocery store was out for like ever!

Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
4 Red Bell Peppers
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Onion, diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1lb Ground Turkey
2 Chipolte Peppers in Adobo Sauce, diced
1 15oz can Diced Tomatoes
1 1/2 cups White Rice (I used Minute Rice)
1 cup Chicken Broth
1/2 cup Chopped Cilantro
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Ground Cumin, to taste
Chili Powder, to taste
Shredded Cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cut the tops of the peppers off and remove the insides. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions and garlic for 3 min. Add the ground turkey and mix to break it up and combine. Let cook over medium heat until done. Season with salt and pepper. Drain grease.
Cook tomatoes and chipolte pepeprs in a large pan. Let come to a simmer. Add in the rice. Begin to pour in the chicken broth, start with about 1/2 cup. Cover with lid and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 min, or until rice has soaked up the liquid. You may need to add more broth.Add cilantro. Stir to combine.
Add the rice mixture to the meat and season with cumin and chili powder. Spoon mixture into the bell peppers. Top with Monterrey Cheese ( or whatever cheese you have on hand ). Bake at 375, until heated through. Turn the broiler on for the last minute or two to brown the cheese. Top with sour cream and cilantro.


 


2 comments:

  1. i love these so much! mine are made with red, if i have them on hand. just to let you know...my kiddos eat the peppers. every bite (: -heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to use red also. Your kids are so good, they love all non-kid food! They rock! :)

    ReplyDelete