Monday, July 18, 2011

Orchard Explosion Chicken Salad

Afternoon, All!
Do you hate when something is not what you think it is?

Do you get flustered and disgruntled when presented with surprise?

Or do you simply take life at what it has to offer?

The good and bad.

The new and the old.

I'm a little of both.

I was 16 the first time I ate chicken salad, and I was caught WAY off guard. My sister asked me if I wanted some lunch, she was going to be making chicken salad. Being the "Chicken Salad" connoisseur that I was, I expected hot and juicy peppered slices nestled into heaps of chopped romaine greens, drizzled with Caesar dressing. My stomach started to rumble as I waited for lunch to be served.
Oh boy, was I surprised when I sat down to a sandwich. I didn't say anything. Not  word. I played it off like I knew all along this is what she meant by chicken salad. I admit, I grumbled and grunted inside myself, totally put out by my disappointment .I felt Grinch like. Call me the Chicken Salad Grinch. But then something happened.... AHHHHH!!!!
I took my first bite. It was not so mad after all. In fact, I think my stomach grew three times that after noon. I loved the grapes and walnuts tossed together with the tanginess of the mayo.

Yes, indeed. My stomach did grow 3 times that day, and my heart had grown too. ( I now love Chicken Salad.)


Orchard Explosion Chicken Salad

Serves: 4-6

Ingredients:
2 Whole Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
1/3-1/2 c Mayo or Miracle Whip
1/3 c Quartered Grapes
1/3 c Chopped Apples, skin on
1 large Celery Stalk, chopped
Walnuts
Pepper, to taste
Relish, if desired
Croissants, Buns, or Sandwich Bread

Directions:
After boiling the chicken until cooked through, allow to cool and then shred.
Place chicken into a med bowl. Add in the mayo, grapes, apples, celery and walnuts and relish if you choose to do so. I used a tiny bit. Toss to coat. Season with pepper, and continue to toss until completely mixed. Serve on desired bread.

PS. I would not have used a bun if I had had anything other than that in my house! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment