Friday, July 29, 2011

Rustic Apple Pie


If there could only be one pie in the world....

First, let me say that would be a sad day.
But, if there could only be one type of pie, I would surely choose apple.
I mean, it's not as if the leader of the free world is going to come and ask little ol me what type of pie he should keep on the earth. BUT, if he did. I would most certainly say apple.

My  family mom has a tradition. She pretty much has a set dessert that she serves for each of the ten children's birthdays. My brother always has a Milky Way cake. My sister always has Angel Food cake. The list goes on. Sigh. Apple pie and I go back. Way back. There was a time in my life when I requested that apple pie be the dessert served at my birthday. I'm not much into birthday cake. This went on for some time. That is until I met cheesecake. Oh la la. But we won't go there today. After all, it's about Apple Pie today.
There is no need to talk about other desserts on a day that has obviously been devoted to Apple Pie.  It's kinda like on my 4th or 5th birthday. See we were having a fashion show, please stop laughing. And as all of my friends pranced on the runway my mother would comment on their style and what not. BUT, when it came time to me, the birthday girl, and I quote: " Here comes Hollis...( focuses on me, then turns away) And, there is Morganne! (my sister) " ON VIDEO! I have proof! WAAAHHHH!!!!
I'm really not bitter, though.
So yea, let's keep to Apple pie.

Rustic Apple Pie
Serves:6-8

Ingredients:

For the Pastry
2 1/2 c All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
10 tbsp Cold Butter, cut up
6 tbsp Vegetable Shortening
6 1/2 tbsp Ice Water

For the Filling
2/3 c Sugar
1/3 c Cornstarch
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Salt
3 1/2 lbs Granny Smith Apples (peeled and cored and cut into 6)
1 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
2 tbsp Butter, cut up
1 Egg White, lightly apple
1 tsp Sugar

Directions: 
To prepare pastry: In food processor with knife blade attached, blend flour and salt. Add butter and shortening, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle in ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time pulsing after each addition, until large moist crumbs just begin to form.
Shape dough into 2 balls, 1 slightly larger. Flatten each into a disk; wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place cookie sheet on rack in lower third of preheating oven to bake pie on later.
To prepare apple filling: In large bowl, combine sugar with cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add apples and lemon juice, and toss to coat evenly.
On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll larger disk of dough into 12-inch round. Ease dough into 9 1/2-inch deep-dish glass or ceramic pie plate. Gently press dough against bottom and up side of plate without stretching. Trim dough edge, leaving 1-inch overhang; reserve trimmings. Spoon apple mixture into pie crust; dot with butter.
Roll remaining disk for top crust into 12-inch round. Center round over filling in bottom crust. Trim pastry edge, leaving 1-inch overhang; reserve trimmings. Fold overhang under; bring up over pie-plate rim and pinch to form stand-up edge, then make decorative edge. Brush crust with some egg white. Cut short slashes in a circle to allow steam to escape during baking. Then sprinkle crust with sugar.
Bake pie 1 hour 10 minutes or until apples are tender when pierced with knife through slits in crust. To prevent over-browning, cover pie loosely with tent of foil after 40 minutes. Cool pie on wire rack 3 hours to serve warm. Serve a la mode, with vanilla ice cream.



1 comment:

  1. Yum! I'm going to have to give this pie a try! Thanks for sharing. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete