Friday, September 16, 2011

Sweet Cherry Pie, A Labor of Love.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Obviously.
Let me tell you about it.
It began at the grocery store. Cherries, which are usually about $4-$5/lb we only $2/lb. SCORE! Jeremy really likes cherries. (He eats them like, well... cherries!) Oh, how he would love me it if I were to surprise him with a sweet cherry pie upon returning from work! Slam Dunk for Hollis!
As I began to prepare the pie filling, I realized that I had to pit the cherries. Umm? "Ok, I can do that. It's just a minor setback. I mean I don't have a cherry pitter, but c'mon how bad can it be?" HA! So I began pitting. Dearest baby must have sensed my unrelenting desire for her to awake early from her nap. I stopped pitting, went to grab her from her crib, set her down to play, and resumed pitting cherries. Slice and squeeze. Slice and squeeze. "Heaven, please don't let me accidentally throw a pit in with the cherries!"
By this time, 45 min later, Swayze who had been extremely patient was starting to cry, pulling on my pant legs, pulling out every single piece of tupperware and tossing it onto the floor.I was able to keep her at bay up until the rolling of the pie dough. This is where it gets great. She comes from the back bedroom screaming! "Oh great, how did she hurt herself now?" I wash my hands, pick her up. Giver her the once over... nothing apparently wrong. Hmm... The crying has increased in the last 55 seconds. "What's going on?! Hungry perhaps? Dirty diaper? Yes, That's it! I'm sure of it." So, I lay her down, change her. Still not happy. Crying is still increasing. "Ok, let's eat!" I feed her, she starts to calm down... for a moment. And then, it happens! WAAAHHHH!!!!!! She starts screaming hysterically! Yogurt pouring down her chin. I look down in her chair to see of maybe she hurt herself somehow, I notice that she had peed and or was peeing in her diaper. I take her back to her room to change her diaper, even though it had only been approx. 5 min, I opened it and there was the brightest, reddest rash I had ever seen! "Y-Ouch!" All females may sympathize at this point. The screaming carries on. Side note: By this point I had begun to assemble the pie, and it was ready to be put into the oven,( we are about 30-40 min behind schedule now) but what I should explain is that when I create culinary miracles, I'm actually not de-stressing myself as I would like to think that I am. I become so wound up and frazzled, that when a catalyst such as this situation, makes it quite hard for me to breathe. Anyhow, I could not get this blessed child to calm down, I let her walk around naked, she cried. I placed her in the bath, she cried harder. I decided it was time to call the after hours doctor. They tell me to do exactly what I already knew (as usual). She finally did stop crying. I located her Ouch cream. I plopped the pie in the oven. I waited about an hour. Called my mom, she just laughed at me. I take it out of the oven, only to get a sugar burn. Those babies hurt!
And so, I must concur that Cherry Pie is indeed a Labor of Love. Why else would someone go through such an ordeal for pie. Pie that I might add is not even my favorite pie! Love, my friends. Love.

Sweet Cherry Pie
Serves:8

Ingredients:
For the crust:
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
2/3 cup Shortening
6 to 7 tbsp Ice Cold Water

For the filling:
1 1/2 cups Sugar
2 tbsp Quick Cook Tapioca
4 1/2 cups Pitted Cherries
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
For the Crust:
Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in shortening until pieces are pea sized. Sprinkle in 1 tbsp of water over a section of the mixture and blend against side of bowl until moistened. Continue with 1 tbsp of water at a time until all mixture is moist. Divide in half, and form each half into a bowl. You can wrap and chill for 15 min at this point. (It's better this way.)
On a lightly floured surface flatten each ball into a disk, and roll out to 12in circle. Transfer bottom circle to the pie pan.
For the Filling:
In a large mixing bowl stir together the sugar and tapioca. Add the cherries and vanilla. Gently toss. Allow to sit for 15 min., or until a syrup forms. Stir and add to pastry lined pie plate.
Cut slits in remaining pie crust and transfer on top of the filling. Trim edges and form as desired.
Bake @ 375 degrees for 50-60 min.


No comments:

Post a Comment