Monday, April 25, 2011

Banana Bread with Streusel Topping

Every time I think of banana bread I think of this particular ex-boyfriend (names will not be disclosed here) for whom I always made banana bread, at 8pm and drove it to him at work at 9:20pm. I sat there while he scarfed it down, smitten by his BIG black truck and the smoke bellowing out of the windows. Well, truthfully my mom made it the first few times, and I just took it to him, reaping the "benefits." Ugh! Eww! Just thinking about this one makes me sick. Why oh why do girls date "grungy, dirty" guys? Why oh why do girls become "grungy and dirty" as a result of dating said type? Am I alone here? Maybe so. Maybe I have completely ruined your appetite for this delicious quick bread. I hope not, because it is so so good. What I love most about this bread is the crumbly, crusty topping. It really gives it something extra. And to tell you the truth the weekend I made it, I ate all but 3 slices. Actually it is all I ingested the ENTIRE weekend! What a carb loaded 2 days it was. But please, don't do that. Share the bread. Sharing is Caring.  Which is why I am sharing with you!

Banana Bread with Streusel Topping:
Serves: 8 (or one hungry mom)

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups Flour
3/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
3/4 cup Sugar
1 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 cup Veg. Oil
2 ripe Bananas, mashed
1/2 cup walnuts
   For the streusel:
1/4 cup Flour
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Butter, cold and sliced
1/4 tsp Cinnamon

Directions:
Prepare the topping by combining the flour sugar and cinnamon. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or fork. Continue until mixture is crumbly. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mix. Combine remaining ingredients,except nuts- add to the dry mix, stirring until well moistened. Stir in the walnuts.
Pour into a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle on the streusel topping. Bake @ 350 degrees for 45 min or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 min in pan before inverting onto wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment