Friday, April 29, 2011

French Fries with Chipolte Peppers

Do you love French Fries? I do. Call them what you will; Fries, Freedom Fries, Oven Fries, Potato Slices, Heart Attack Waiting to Happen... I don't care. I love most all fries. Except, BK. I hate BK fries. What are you favorite french fries?
I can remember when I was little, my mother would make homemade French Fry Wedges, get this.. FROM POTATOES! She made them right there on the stove! I was very unsure the first time, but after trying I was hooked. I loved them, but I could never get mine to have the same shape hers did, thus loosing all the sentiment and taste.
However, these are not fried in oil. These are baked in the oven, with careful attention, or they will stick to the pan and all is ruined. Believe me, It Happened One Night. Just ask Josh. And unlike my mother's fries (she hates spice) these have an extra kick. You know it's kind of funny that baby Swayze is not more gassier (is that grammatically correct?) than she is, with all the spicy food I eat. One day when she is older she may kill me for mentioning her bodily functions on the web. Oh well...

French Fries with Chipolte Peppers 
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
3/4 pound Russet Potatoes (about 2 Large) sliced into wedges
1 1/2 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp Olive Oil, divided 
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt 
1 cloves Garlic, minced 
2 whole Chipolte Peppers in Adobo sauce, diced
¼ cups Cilantro, chopped
1 pinch Salt, to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Cut potatoes lengthwise into slices that are 1/3-inch thick and then cut each slice into 1/3-inch thick strips. Dry the potatoes between two paper towels. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Lay the potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spread into a single layer.
Bake until the potatoes are golden brown, about 20 minutes, turning the potatoes every 10 minutes.
Heat the remaining 1/2 teaspoon olive in a small nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add garlic and chipolte peppers and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Do not burn the garlic.
Toss potatoes with garlic, peppers, and cilantro.Season with additional salt, if needed.

2 comments:

  1. haha good times. still need to give making those fries another try. Are these the same fries that we we're making that night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh; Yes, same type of fries, not the same batch.

    ReplyDelete