Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mexi Mac n Chz





Last Friday evening, at oh about 7:32pm I set out to make dinner. Dinner was inspired by HowSweetEats.com post for Mexican Macaroni and Cheese. You see, I had planned to make this for dinner based on the fact that I HAD all of the ingredients in the house already. And seeing as how it should not take too long to make, I waited until 7:32pm to start. Well, as I open my crisper, to my utter surprise and discontentment, I realized I did NOT have everything I thought I did. Don't you just hate that? Doesn't that just make you want to scream? No? Oh, well I was already having a bad day...and I waited until 7:32 to make dinner, leaving me totally unexcited to run out to the store. So, I didn't. I went on full speed ahead and made Mexi Mac n Chz.

Mexi Mac n Chz
Serves:6

Ingredients:
1/2 lb Macaroni noodles, cooked
1 1/2 to 2 cups Chicken Breast,  cooked and shredded
1 15oz can Ro-Tel
1/3 cup Red Onion, chopped
1/3 cup Sweet Red Peppers, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 tbsp Olive Oil

1 tsp Cumin
Chili powder, to taste
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cups milk
1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
1- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
Breadcrumbs or tortilla chips for topping
Cilantro for garnish

Directions:
Cook the noodles according to package directions. If you have not already cooked and shredded the chicken, do so now please. (Boil chicken in water until done. Shred with fingers or two forks.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
While noodles boil, heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, and garlic. Saute about 4 min, or until fragrant. Add the Ro-Tel, stir and season with cumin, cayenne and chili powder. Add the chicken and cook for about 3 min and turn off heat. Add noodles when cooked.
Begin preparing the roux. Over medium heat, melt the butter in a small sauce pan. When melted, whisk in the flour. When browned and paste like, add the milk and cheeses. Stir continuously until sauce has thickened, make careful not to burn. About 10 min. Pour sauce into the chicken/noodle mixture. Mix well.
Transfer into a medium sized baking dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs or crushed tortilla chips on top. Bake for 20 min or until golden brown and bubbly. Garnish with cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment